FAQ - Critical Illness
Yes. As per the rule passed by IRDA – Insurance regulatory Development Authority of India, effective 1st Oct 2011, which allows portability from one insurance companies to another insurance company without losing any renewal benefits.
Let us give a detailed information on the Portability guidelines:
Portability: When the insured would like to transfer his current policy to another insurance company he can do the same through portability option. Under portability, the insured get the option to port his existing policy along with the credit on the continuity for waiting period on pre-existing conditions and any cumulative bonus accumulated to any other insurance company.
Continuity can be passed only from one product to another which has a similar risk factor. For E.g. if a customer has a Bajaj Allianz Critical Illness Policy, then he can port to any other health insurance policy which has a similar critical illness plan.
Let us look at the Rights & Conditions for Portability:
- You can port your policy from and to any general insurance company or specialized health insurance company
- You can port any individual/ family policies
- Your new insurer has to give you the credit relating to waiting period for pre-existing conditions that you have gained with the old insurer
- Your new insurer has to
insureyou at least up to the sum insured under the old policy
- The two insurers should complete the porting as per the timelines prescribed in the IRDA (Protection of Policyholders’ Interests) Regulations and guidelines
- You can port the policy only at the juncture of renewal. That is, the new insurance period will be with the new insurance company
- Apart from the waiting period credit, all other terms of the new policy including the premium are at the discretion of the new insurance company
- At least 45 days before your renewal is due you have to
- Write to your old insurance company requesting a shift
- Specify company to which you want to shift the policy
- Renew your policy without a break (there is a 30 day grace period if porting is under process)