All You Need to Know about Top-up Cover in Health Insurance
To protect your phone from bumps and damages, you use a screen-guard. But when it rains, the screen-guard alone cannot help you protect your phone. You need a plastic baggie to keep the phone dry and safe from water. In the same way, a health insurance plan is the screen-guard and the additional plastic baggie used when it rains is the health insurance top-up plan.
What Is a Top-up Cover?
It is an additional health cover that provides coverage when your base (original/primary) health insurance coverage is exhausted. Let’s understand with the help of an example.
Mr. Sharma is hospitalised and he has a health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakhs. Due to the seriousness of the ailment, the medical expenses go above Rs 5 lakhs and end up at Rs 8.5 lakhs. The additional expenses of Rs 3.5 lakhs would drain out Mr. Sharma’s other savings.
However, if Mr. Sharma would have a top-up cover, the additional expenses could be easily paid for without draining his other savings.
When we say that a top-up cover of Rs 10 lakhs has a deductible of Rs 5 lakhs, it means that any bill amount that goes up to Rs 5 lakhs would be met by the health plan and any amount beyond that limit would be settled by the top-up cover. In the above case, the additional expenses of Rs 3.5 lakhs would be met with a top-up health plan.
What Is a Deductible?
A top-cover offers coverage only when a specific cut-off amount or deductible is crossed. In the above example, if the top-up deductible was Rs 5 lakhs, then Mr. Sharma had to manage the expenses up to Rs 5 lakhs either by using his original (base) health insurance policy or from his own pocket, but the expenses which went above Rs 5 lakh will be covered by the top-up plan.
It is important to choose a top-up plan that perfectly balances with your base health plan, where the adequate cover and adequate deductible are maintained.
What Are the Advantages of a Top-up Cover?
Here are the advantages of having a top-up cover:
- Top-ups are available along with individual as well as family-floater health plans.
- Top-ups offer tax deduction under Section 80(D) on the premiums paid.
- Top-ups offer coverage even if your base (primary) health policy is brought from some other insurer. The basic health insurance policy and the top-up plan can be of two different companies.
- The combination of a health policy + top-up policy is much cheaper compared to the cost of buying a health policy with the same coverage.
Quick Quote – The Proof Is in the Numbers!
When it comes to health plans, OneInsure has found a smart way out for you. Using the health plan + top-up formula, you can get higher health coverage for more affordable rates. Here is a quick quote to help you understand better.
For instance, instead of buying a normal family-floater health plan with coverage of Rs 10 lakhs, which costs close to Rs 25,000 per year, choose the OneInsure way and opt for the following:
- Buy a family-floater health plan with coverage of Rs 5 lakhs at close to Rs 14,200 per year along with a family-floater top-up plan with a coverage of Rs 10 lakhs with deductible of Rs 5 lakhs at close to Rs 5,800 per year.
- By doing this, you and your family get higher coverage of Rs 15 lakhs at close to Rs 20,000 (14,200 +5,800) per year instead of paying Rs 25,000 for lower coverage of Rs 10 lakhs.
- You save close to Rs 5,000 every year!
Hurry up and get your health insured at a lesser cost! Buy health insurance top-up plans NOW.
M – 86559-86559 | E – firstname.lastname@example.org
Be Sure with OneInsure