Robinhood Insurance Broker Private Limited

OneInsure Blog

Pet-Insurance-16-10-2017
General

Insurance For Dogs - A Must-Read For Every Dog Owner

If you own a four-legged furry friend, you definitely know what unconditional love feels like. You come home after a hard day’s work and there’s your dog waiting at the doorstep to greet you and possibly get you to rub its belly. Pets are a part of our family, so if you have availed insurance covers for your spouse and children, shouldn’t you be getting one for your pet as well? Yes, insurance cover for pets exist and you definitely must get one if you’re a dog owner.

What is Dog Insurance?

A Dog Insurance policy covers your dog against death caused by accidents or diseases contracted during the insurance term. Such policies generally cover cross bred, indigenous or exotic dogs between the ages of 8 weeks and 8 years. The premium for such policies is about 5% or 6% of the sum insured.

Add-on covers available under this plan include: accidental death during transit by air, road and water, death due to accidental poisoning, theft of the pet and death of dog by whelping, among others. The add-on covers offered will vary from insurer to insurer, so enquire from your insurance provider about what all are covered under their respective plans and the available add-ons.

Claim Procedure

In the event your dog dies during the policy period, you can file a claim with the insurance company. This is what the claim procedure for dog insurance looks like:

  • Intimate the insurance company about the loss
  • Submit a duly filled claim form to the insurance company mentioning details about the cause of death
  • Get a post mortem done. Attach a veterinary certificate with the claim form

The insurance company is likely to bear about 80% of the claim amount, while you will have the take care of the remaining 20%. The amount will be ascertained depending on the market value or insured value (whichever is lesser).

Dog Insurance Segment in India

While dog insurance is one of the most popular pet insurance products in India, there aren’t many takers at the moment for dog insurance policies. This can be attributed to lack of awareness among consumers about the benefits of such policies and the fact that very few insurers deal in this segment. Pet insurance is still at a nascent stage. The future, however, does look bright with insurers slowly making their entry and hopefully more companies will introduce products targeted at protecting man's best friend.


Add a Comment

  • By clicking on the "GET A CALL" button, I accept the terms and conditions & authorize OneInsure representatives to contact me (via Call/SMS/Email).

THANK YOU!